Plan of the Royal Garrison Church

Visiting the Royal Garrison Church
This listed Ancient Monument is open from from April to September (Mon-Fri between 11am and 4pm).
Car Parking
Parking on streets adjacent to the church is permitted, though residents parking schemes operate in some areas.
Friends of the Royal Garrison Church
For bookings and information about the church phone the Secretary, Peter Richmond, on 023 9282 3973 or e-mail
Click for street map

The Memorials

There are nearly 300 memorials associated with this church. They have been listed below according to their current location or, where it is known, their original location. That this is sometimes unclear is due to the fact that so many are physically missing from the church, having been removed following the bombing of the church in 1941. Further problems have been caused by the decision not to replace the church roof (see below) which has led to considerable erosion of the plaques. Fortunately, just after the restoration of the church, in 1873, the then Chaplain, Archdeacon H.P. Wright wrote a guide to the church which contained transcripts of all the memorials in existence at the time. We have made extensive use of this guide as well as a ledger that remains in the church to this day which provides additional evidence.
The memorials have also been listed alphabetically on an A-Z page.
The Nave Wall Plaques
(Anti-clockwise from the West Door)

Charles Durnford
HMS Centaur
Captain WJ Madden
Hampshire Royal Garrison Artillery
General Lawrence Shadwell
Pilot Officer Allan Miles
Captain WB Thomson
Frances Victoria Lloyd
Captain J Keogh
Edward Herbert Pulling
Captain PR Sargeaunt
Brigadier General Kelly
Lieut. O.L. Pulling
Lieutenant JSB Harvey
Lt. Colonel PB Warren
Brigadier General ES Browne

Lieut. William Henry Kirk
Surgeon Major General James Davis
Captain Eagar and Lieut. Brine
Captain Leonard Head
Lieut. F.J.T.U. Simpson
Lieut. Thomas Poole
Commander Charles Pritchard
General Sir John Pennefather
Captain Sir JL Yeo
Colonel Peter Hawker
Colonel JP Desmaretz
Town-Major Nathan Ashhurst
Lieutenant William Grant
Lieutenant Pieter Laurentz Campbell
Major TJ Harrison

The Nave Window Plaques

(Anti-clockwise from the West Door. All of these plaques have been removed from their original locations. Some are at the English Heritage store, some are lost and one (*) is still in the church)

General Sir Charles Menzies
Lieut. Gen. Lord Frederick FitzClarence
Major Thomas Oldfied
Major General Sir John William Gordon
Sir James McGrigor
46th (South Devon) Regiment
Captain CMM and Lieut. ED Wright

Captain Morgan Molesworth*
82nd Regiment, Prince of Wales Volunteers
Twelve Chaplains
Lt. CS Robson & Ensign WJS Robson
77th. (East Middlesex) Regt.
Colonel Edwin Wodehouse
43rd Monmouthshire Light Infantry

In The Chancel

(Anti-clockwise from the West Door)

The Standards
Admiral Sir George Campbell
Major Thomas Oldfield
Captain John Mason
Edward, Elizabeth & Forbes Chevers
Captain E.H. Coulter
Elizabeth Mary Craven
Albert Ernest Watts
Major DCG Sharp
Lieut. IG Sharp
The Font Cover (and Font)
Major Martin Morphy
Admiral Sir Thomas Foley
Sir WW Turner
67th South Hampshire Regiment (Colours)
Captain FH Nelson
Lieutenant Henry Tryon
The Hymn Board
Ensign Wyndham Knatchbull

Major Nicholas Hovenden
Rear Admiral Byron
The Stalls
Major General Benjamin Fisher
C.W. Guise
Sir George Grey
The Lectern
The Water Transport Pews
8th Army OCA Book of Remembrance
The Altar Cross
Two Altar Candlesticks
Laura Emily Dominic and Mira Elizabeth Rodwell
Anna & Rebecca Rodney
8th King's Regiment
7th (Queen's Own) Hussars
General Sir CW Doyle
Captain Blackwood
Royal Army Service Corps Association
General Sir George Willis

The Chancel Windows

(Anti-clockwise from the West end. All the original windows were lost in 1941. Follow the links below for the dedications before and after the loss)

Lieut-Gen. The Hon. Henry Edward Butler
Major Colin Frederick Campbell
Colonel Arthur Vesey
The East Window
The Royal Artillery Association
67th South Hampshire Regiment AND The 8th Army

The Choir Stall Plaques

Vice-Admiral Horatio Viscount Nelson
General Viscount Hill
Field Marshall Lord Raglan
Admiral Sir Henry Ducie Chads
General Sir Alexander Dickson
General Sir Harry D. Jones
Sir James McGrigor
Lieut. Gen. Sir Charles James Napier
General Sir William F.P. Napier
Lt. Gen. Sir George Napier
Lieut. Gen. Sir James Outram
Alfwine Bishop of Winchester
Old Etonians
Old Harrovians
Old Rugbeians
Maj. Gen. Thomas Fox Strangways
Maj. Gen. Sir J. William Gordon
Captain Arthur Wellesley Cassan
Colonel John Hinde King
Captain Sir Robert Newman
Col. Thomas Graham Egerton
Major Gen. Frank Adams
Ven. Archdeacon H.P. Wright

Gen. The Hon. Sir Leycester Smyth
Field Marshall Arthur Duke of Wellington
Lt. Gen. Sir John Moore
Field Marshall Sir Alexander Woodford
Gen. Sir John McDonald
Lt. Gen Sir Hercules Robert Pakenham
Gen. The Hon. Sir James Yorke Scarlett
Lt. Gen. Sir George Cathcart
Lt. Gen. Sir George Charles D'Aquilar
Lt. Gen. Sir Henry W.M. Barnard
Gen The Rt. Hon. Sir George Brown
Twelve Chaplains
51 Officers, Army Medical Dept.
Rev. Pierce Butler
Captain Henry Thomas Butler
Captain James Armar Butler
Captain Christopher Hore Hatchell
Col. Edwin Wodehouse
Col. George Carpenter
Officers of the 49th Regiment
Maj. Gen. Henry William Adams
Major E.W. Cornick

The Nave Bench Plaques

After the restoration of the church in 1868, some 57 benches were installed in the Nave for the congregation. The 1873 Guide lists all 57 (without transcriptions), but a separate (undated) handwritten ledger in the church lists 51 (with transcriptions). Most of the benches were adorned by a memorial plaque, approximately 19cms wide and 12 cms high, fixed on the side facing the central aisle. In January 1941, the Luftwaffe dropped several bombs on the nave area of the church. Many of the benches and plaques were lost in this action. The church ledger mentioned above contains a diagram showing where each of the plaques/benches was. The memorials below are listed in the same order, starting from west to east on the north side of the aisle (Nos. 128-152) followed by east to west on the south side (Nos. 153-178). The remaining 6 names are listed in the 1873 Guide but do not appear in the ledger - the transcriptions have therefore been lost. In 2008, two of these plaques were returned to the church, for details see the plaque to Major Breton

Lieut. Charles Mouat
Mr. Superintendent Digby Dent
The Ashanti Expedition
Major Charles Glazbrook
General Sir De Lacy Evans
The 8th (The King's) Regiment
Dr. Richard Dowse
The Naval Brigade in the Crimea
Old Rugbeians
Lord Raglan & Officers
Sir John Hall M.D.
7th (Queens Own) Hussars
104th (Bengal Fusiliers) Regt.
Captain The Hon. Charles Cornwallis Eliot
The Rifle Brigade
9th (East Norfolk) Regiment
34th (Cumberland) Regiment
Grenadier Guards
Royal Engineers
Edward, Elizabeth & Forbes Chivers
General Lord Edward H Somerset
Lieut Col F J Elliot
Coldstream Guards
Scots Fusilier Guards
Black Sea Fleet
Major Heneage Wynne
General George Jones
Right Reverend Samuel Wilberforce
19th (1st York North Riding) Regiment

77th (East Middlesex) Regiment
47th (Lancashire) Regiment
88th (Connaught Rangers) Regiment
46th (South Devonshire) Regiment
5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales) Dragoons
30th (Cambridgeshire) Regiment
95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
Major-General Thomas Dwyer
64th, (2nd Stafforshire) Regiment
Major General Bucknell Escourt
68th (Durham) Light Infantry (1)
Major General Sir Arthur W. Torrens K.C.B.
68th (Durham) Light Infantry (2)
Major John Breton
38th (1st Staffordshire) Regiment
Sir Robert Kennedy
9th (Queens) Royal Lancers
Captain Sir William Peel
Twelve Chaplains
52nd Light Infantry
Colonel Kenneth Douglas Mackenzie
Lieutenant Colonel C.J. Woodford C.B.
Officers and men of the Baltic Fleet
Officers and Men who died at Scutari Hospital
Lieutenant General Sir Edward Wetherall K.C.B.
Captain J. Nichol
Major William Baird

Behind the Organ

The Royal Garrison Church has undergone many changes during it's existence one of which was the installation of an organ. This was placed in the transept in such a way as to completely obscure several memorials. Fortunately, the transcriptions of those memorials, being in existence in 1873, were included in the Guide to the Church. The following memorials are believed to exist, but are hidden by the organ.

Rev Samuel Leggatt
Colonel Robert Moncreiff
Captain William McBean
Lieutenant Christopher Hodgson
Surgeon John Hume
Lieut-Colonel Thomas Fetherston
Lieutenant Robert Kay

Captain George Marshall
Lt. Henry Wemyss
Brevet Major Henry Buck
Miss Hannah Bullock
Lt. Col. Samuel Williams
H.G. Andrae
John Sinclair

At Fort Brockhurst - Formerly in the Nave

In addition to those memorials recorded above, there are others that have from time to time been removed from the church by English Heritage and taken to their store at Fort Brockhurst in Gosport. Most of them were probably removed because of the damage they sustained during the bombing in 1941 when many of the stone memorials shattered and the metal ones partially melted. The Friends of the Church obtained permission to record the contents of the store. The results of this work is published below. Some inscriptions have been checked against, or completed from, the 1873 Guide to the Garrison Church. The Guide has also provided valuable evidence as to the original location of many of the memorials; e.g. Nos. 199 & 200 were on or close to the pulpit; approximate positions within the nave have been determined for the rest.

HMS Penelope
Richard and Emma Ford
Charles Richard, 6th Earl de la Warr
Paymaster Roberts/Ensign Prior
Men of the Worcestershire Regiment
General Sir George Allan Madden
Commander Wyatt Rawson
Rear Admiral Donald Campbell
Lt. General Arthur Whetham
Captain John Baker Hay
Lieut. Colonel AH Ball
Colonel Ballingall
Anne Maria Williams
Caroline Cardew
Men of HMS Queen
Captain Charles John Torrens

Major Charles Covey
Admiral Robert Gambier
Daniel O'Connor
Captain William Simpson
Major James Anderson Morice
Town Major Henry White
Captain Henry Hann
Joseph Barnaby Charles Murphy
Lieut. R. C. Slade-Baker
FJ, CN, EG & RC Evelegh
Jessie P.A.L. Graham
Captain Henry Humphries
4th Kings Own Royal Regiment
Ensign John Howe
Martha Foster
12 Small Plaques (Nos. 232-243)

The Lost Memorials

Thanks to the 1873 Guide to the Church we can tell which memorials were present at that time but which for various reasons do not appear to have survived. Further information has also been obtained from the Record Office at the Museum of Army Chaplaincy which includes several memorials not recorded elsewhere. Unfortunately there is often no more than a surname in these records and so we have not listed them here. Those for which we have useful information, are listed below.

Lieut-Colonel William Davids
Lieutenant Charles Marshall
Lieutenant-General Baron de Rottenburg
Lieutenant George Cookes
Lieut. GJ & Lieut. CE Young
Lieut-Colonel George MacGregor
Major-General Sir Samuel Gibbs
Mary and Cecilia Harriett Maughan
Amelia Harriotte McBean
Sergt-Major Thomas Robinson
Lieut-Colonel Thomas Timins
Brevet-Major Charles Elliott Balchild
Lieut. The Hon. P.F. Pellew
Eliza Persse

Admiral Sir John Laforey
Quarter-Master William Barnes
Ann Maria Woodhouse
Lieut-Colonel Thomas Archbold & Family
Thomas Meik M.D.
Colonel Sir Richard Williams
Captain William Burnett
Admiral, Captain and Mary Gerrish Jones
Lieutenant Alexandri Russwurm
The Scinde Camel Corps
General Henry William Breton
2nd Lieut. Norman McIver Morrison
Lieut. Cecil Charles Williams
The Wykeham Gates

At The Royal Army Chaplains Department Record Office/Museum

After the bombing of the church in 1941 all of the valuable silver plate was removed for safe keeping. This consisted principally of the Queen Anne plate and the Cornwallis plate. These items are now housed at the RAChD, Amport House, near Andover, Hampshire.
The Cornwallis Plate
The Queen Anne Plate

Late Additions

The Church Graveyard

The graveyard is situated to the west and north of the church. Its modern appearance is of a well ordered resting place, even though most of the inscriptions on the headstones are now illegible. It is doubtful however, if the stones lie anywhere near their original positions. When Archdeacon Wright came to the church he reported that the graveyard had "... been neglected for years. Brick graves abounded; some tottering some in ruins; lofty iron railings covered with rust and sadly mutilated....... headstones were everywhere and in every direction, deep hollows and irregular mounds alternated....". This is patently not what the visitor will see today, where those gravestones that remain are laid in, for the most part, orderly rows, with the headstones inset horizontally into the grass.
We are fortunate in that the Church Ledger, mentioned earlier, records details of all the stones that were extant at the time of writing. Although we have no definite date for the ledger, an official stamp at the front records the date as 28th February 1889 and the very first entries are an alphabetical list of the gravestone names. Against the record of one of the stones is the note "This stone was found about a foot underground in 1887, when I was clearing the graveyard. (signed) J.J. Francis, Sexton and Verger". It seems therefore that a considerable amount of activity must have taken place in the graveyard between the time that Archdeacon Wright instigated a clean-up operation around 1870.
A further point worthy of note is that the majority of the graves record deaths in the first half of the 19th century; the latest being in 1854. There are about 7 or 8 which date to before the turn of the century with the earliest recorded as 1770. Given that this area had been in use for some 700 years as a hospice and chapel it seems highly unlikely that no one would have considered burying anyone there until 1770. We are left then with an incomplete history of the burials, but that doesn't mean we can't extract some interesting information.
Firstly we note that several of the persons commemorated on memorials within the church have gravestones outside it. Where we are confident that memorial and gravestone refer to the same person we have recorded both inscriptions on the relevant page noted above.
Secondly, there appears to be a blurring of definition between 'memorial' and 'gravestone'. The Garrison Church is not unique in this feature but it does mean we can add a number of further memorials that only appear in the graveyard.

Sir Charles Napier Tomb

Thirdly, and perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised at this, but there is a very high proportion of children buried in the graveyard. Apart from the obvious implications of a high infant mortality rate at the time, we are unsure whether this has any greater significance.
The most visually appealing grave relic is that for Sir Charles Napier; a tomb like edifice that stands adjacent to the path in front of the west door. Whilst one might rightly expect such an imposing structure to stand over the mortal remains of the great soldier it does not in fact do so. It had long been known that this tomb had been moved to accommodate the building of an extra bay to the nave at the time of the restoration in 1873. The original position was not known until 2004 when a plan showing the location of Napier's burial place was discovered at the Army Chaplains Museum in Amport. It transpired that it occupied much the same position in relation to the earlier west door as the tomb does to the current door. It is not yet known whether the body lies in a simple grave or in a crypt.
Transcriptions of the gravestone texts.

Exterior view of the church  Part of the nave, showing several memorials in recessed arches
The nave of the church   The chancel looking west   The chancel looking east
The Restoration of the Royal Garrison Church

'Following detailed consideration by English Heritage and the University of Portsmouth it has been concluded that, if a roof were to be provided (to the Nave), the rate of deterioration of the stone would probably be increased. Owing to its location, it is inevitable that the now exposed stonework will have absorbed considerable amounts of salt solution and, if it were enclosed, the trapped water would dry out causing the salt to crystallise on and under the surface of the stone resulting in accelerated deterioration. It is therefore not intended to replace the main roof so that the Nave will remain as a partial ruin as a memorial to all those service men who gave their lives for their country, in particular in the second world war when the church was damaged.' Quoted from the Guide to the Royal Garrison Church.

History of the Royal Garrison Church

Download a history of the church in MS Word Format (77Kb)
For a copy of Archdeacon Wright's book "History of the Domus Dei" go to the Internet Archive

Images of the Church

Reproduced below are five images of the Church and the Governor's House. The upper three are engravings from the Guide to the Church and are dated 1716 - c1820. They are reproduced by kind permission of the Friends of the Garrison Church. The lower two are undated but must have been drawn before 1826 when the Governor's House was demolished. The drawing on the right is alleged to have been made by Admiral Spencer Smyth who would have had to be sitting on top of the Semaphore Tower, which in turn was on top of the Square Tower, to have obtained this angle.


Garrison Church before 1826  Garrison Church before 1826