On Governors Green, adjacent to the path running from the Royal Garrison Church to Kings Bastion.
Marble on granite, approx 1m wide x 1.5m tall.
THROUGH THE WATER"
THESE TREES AND MEMORIAL STONE
WERE COMMEMORATED ON THE 14 MAY 2000
REMEMBERING WITH PRIDE AND GRATITUDE THE MEN AND
THE SHIPS OF THE 'ALGERINE' CLASS OF FLEET MINESWEEPER
OPERATING IN THE ROYAL NAVY 1942-1961
AND THOSE WHO ALSO SERVED IN ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY ESCORTS
OF THE 'ALGERINE' CLASS
|ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY ESCORTS|
This class of minesweeper was originally of Canadian design. They were used both during and after WW2. Those that were lost during WW2 are as follows:
HMS ALARM - 1943 January damaged by aircraft at BONE (now ANNABA), Algeria; 1944 January.
HMS ALGERINE - (940t, 23/3/42) Sunk by U-boat torpedo, BOUGIE, Algeria 15 Nov 1942.
HMS FANTOME - 1943 20 May mined off North Africa; 1947 declared a Constructive Total Loss and Broken Up at Milford Haven.
HMS HYDRA - 1944 10 November damaged by mine off Ostend; 1947 considered a Constructive Total Loss and Broken Up at Grays.
HMS LOYALTY - (940t, 22/4/43) Sunk by mine or U-boat torpedo, ENGLISH CHANNEL 22 Aug 1944.
HMS PROMPT - 1945 9 May Damaged by mine, Ostend; Declared a Constructive Total Loss and Broken Up at Rainham.
HMS REGULUS - (1010t, 20/5/44) Sunk by mine, CORFU CHANNEL, GREECE 12 Jan 1945.
HMS SQUIRREL - (940t, 16/8/1944) Damaged by mine off PUKET, SIAM (THAILAND). Sunk by own forces 24 July 1945.
HMS VESTAL - (940t, 10/9/1943) Sunk by aircraft off PUKET, SIAM (THAILAND), 26 July 1945
This class of minesweeper was named after the first one made, HMS Algerine. It may be that the name originally came from the Algerine War between Algiers and the United States in the early 19th century when the Barbary Pirates were making punitive raids on American Mediterranean commerce. The War ended on 5 August 1815.
See also the Algerine Association tablet in St George's Church
During March 1942 the district of Aireborough which comprised of the towns of Guiseley, Yeadon and Rawdon held a 'Warship Week' and managed to raise the sum of £140,000 to build a minesweeper, this ship was 'HMS Bramble'. A plaque was presented to the committee by members of the ships crew, and it was agreed by the Rector of Guiseley (Sidney Edward Lowe) that this be put into Guiseley Parish Church.
Built by Lobnitz and on 14 March 1942 was adopted by Wellingborough Urban District Council during Warship Week. She was launched on 29 September 1942 and completed in February 1943 with a displacement of 850 tons and a complement of 85. Her armament was one 4 inch and four 20 mm anti-aircraft guns. Four more 20 mm guns were added in the summer of 1944. Her Pennant was J 275. 1943-1944 saw service in the North Sea and Arctic waters. She was involved in the D-Day landings in June 1944. On 10 November 1944 she was damaged by a mine off Ostend, declared a constructive total loss and was eventually towed back to Sheerness. In 1947 she was broken up by T.W.Ward of Grays, Essex.
[Information courtesy of Eileen Blythe]
Web Site Links
The Algerine Class (Canada)
The Algerines Association