On a block of flats on the north side of Queen Street, east of Cross Street, Portsea
stood the first Roman Catholic Church
built in Portsmouth after the Reformation
St. John the Evangelist
it served local Catholics from
1796 to 1882
Although the address of the Chapel was Prince George Street it actually stood behind a row of buildings and was accessed via a narrow passage. This placed it equidistant between Prince George Street and Queen Street and given that the latter is much wider than it was in the 19C the location of the plaque in Queen street is entirely appropriate.