This memorial consists of two plaques on the north side of the Lady Chapel and a window in the east wall of the same chapel (see Cathedral Plan).
JAMES GIEVE JP 1888, HIS WIFE EMMA GIEVE 1919
WITH THEIR DAUGHTER EMMA ELIZABETH (BESSIE) GIEVE 1919
AND THEIR ELDEST SON JOHN WILLIAM GIEVE JP 1923
ALL ARE COMMEMORATED IN THE WINDOWS
HERE IN THE LADY CHAPEL
Inscription (Plaque 2)
RODNEY WATSON GIEVE
1901 - 1989
RE-UNITED WITH HIS FATHER JAMES WATSON GIEVE JP 1927
AND OTHER MEMBERS OF HIS FAMILY COMMEMORATED HERE
WHOSE LIVES WERE ENRICHED BY WORSHIP IN THIS
CHURCH OF ST. THOMAS
The Gieve family business of tailors to the Navy and to Royalty began in 1835 when James Watson Gieve arrived in Portsmouth to begin an apprenticeship with the tailor Augustus Meredith. The company of Gieve & Co. was formed in 1887 and has since established itself as one of the foremost outfitters in the UK with it's headquarters at No. 1 Savile Row.
A biography of James Watson Gieve appears in the History InPortsmouth website.
James Gieve is buried in Highland Road Cemetery with his wife and four children.